Does Your College Kid Need Insurance?

Does Your College Kid Need Insurance?

Insurance your college student may need.

Now that back to school season is in full swing, college kids are getting ready for the new semester. If you, as a parent, are sending your child off to college, you may want to consider protecting him or her and their belongings with quality insurance. Read on for a few policies that your studying student may need.

Health Insurance

Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, your child is now eligible to remain a dependent on your health plan until age 26. However, it may not be practical to keep him or her on your plan if they are attending a college out of state and can’t find any in-network providers. Consider securing them their own health insurance that they can rely on at any time.

Car Insurance

If your child is taking their car to school, remember to alert your insurer. The premium is influenced by the car’s location, and the insurer should stay up to date with the primary residence of the vehicle. If your child chooses to leave the car at home, consider keeping the current auto insurance policy so that they can use the vehicle when they return home.

Renters Insurance

It’s likely that your child will take a variety of valuables with him or her, from electronics to furniture to textbooks. If your child is going to live at an on-campus dormitory, his or her possessions should still be covered under your current homeowners or renters insurance policy. However, if they are moving into an apartment away from campus, they will need their own renters insurance coverage to protect their valuable and liability.

To find the best insurance policies to fit your college kid’s needs, contact Bell Black Insurance today!  We serve all insurance needs for those in Idaho Falls, Island Park, Driggs, Victor, Swan Valley, Ashton, and the neighboring communities in Idaho, as well as Jackson and Star Valley in Wyoming.