Prevent home woes down the line by tending to your home this fall.
We are officially three days into fall! While the smell of pumpkin spiced lattes is already in the air, we should spare some time to think about prepping our homes for the autumn and winter ahead. The cooler months can be grueling for properties, especially if they are not prepared. To avoid costly home insurance claims down the line, check out these home maintenance must-dos.
Roofing and guttering:
- Clean out the gutters. Make sure that the downpipes are directed away from the house, and that the gutters are clear of any debris and dirt that could cause water blockages.
- Inspect the roof to see if there are any broken, loose, or missing slates. Head into the attic to ensure there is no light or water getting through the roof, which indicates that there are some weak spots.
Save energy and money:
- Get your furnace serviced or inspected. Many property owners do not realize that a well-maintained furnace will burn less fuel; so having it inspected and serviced can help you to save money.
- Eliminate drafts. Inspect your windows and doors, caulking any drafts that let cold air in and warm air out. A cold house means that your furnace has to work overtime, making it wear out quickly.
Secure or store:
- Store outdoor furniture away for the fall and winter months. You may choose to move outdoor BBQs, toys, and plant pots inside to prevent them being picked up by strong windstorms. For items left outside, think about how secure it may be. You may want to tie some things down to prevent them from being damaged in the fall.
These tips will help to prevent insurance claims. To find the best home insurance policy to fit your needs, contact Bell Black Insurance today! We serve all insurance needs for those in Idaho Falls, Island Park, Driggs, Victor, Swan Valley, Ashton, and the neighboring communities in Idaho, as well as Jackson and Star Valley in Wyoming.