Roll out the carpet for whole grains this month.
September is Whole Grains Month and across the nation, individuals and communities alike learn the benefits of adopting whole grains into their diet. As important food items, whole grains benefit us in more ways than one. If you didn’t know about the importance of this food group, celebrate the wholesome goodness of grains in September!
The benefits of whole grains most documented by repeated studies include:
- Reduced risk of strokes
- Reduced risk of type 2 diabetes
- Reduced risk of heart disease
- Better weight management
Other benefits indicated by recent studies include:
- Reduced risk of asthma
- Healthier carotid arteries
- Reduction of inflammatory disease
- Lower risk of colorectal cancer
- Healthier blood pressure levels
- Less gum diseases and tooth loss
So how can you celebrate this month?
- Substitute brown rice for white rice. Brown rice is higher in fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- Eat cereals with at least 16 grams of whole grain per serving. Many cereals are loaded with extra sugars, which eliminate the nutritional value of the cereal.
- Use rolled oats or old-fashioned oats over ‘quick oats’. The latter have been highly processed.
- Substitute whole grain flour when baking. It won’t alter your flavors and it’ll add more nutrients to your sweets.