Essential home maintenance tasks for every season.
Taking care of your home is not a one-time task; it’s a year-round job. Every season, new challenges arise and you must do your best to sustain the health and condition of your property. Be sure to schedule these tasks for each season to improve your air quality, energy efficiency, and home comfort.
The summer is here! While you may be thinking that you’ve just finished spring cleaning, that doesn’t mean the home tasks are over yet. Summer weather is ideal for handling outdoor tasks that you’ve neglected the rest of the year.
- Plant trees that block summer sun while allowing for low-angle winter sunlight around the home.
- Wash the exterior of the home and re-paint as needed.
- Check the roof for any signs of damage, wear, or tear. Repair and seal the roof as needed.
- Fill the cracks in the driveway and walkways to minimize tripping risks.
- Have the carpeting professionally cleaned.
The autumn months provide a great opportunity to prepare for winter. When the weather cools off, you’re less likely to want to head outside and handle exterior home maintenance. Take care of it now before the busy holiday season.
- Clean the gutters, getting rid of leaves, twigs, and dirt.
- Drain sediment from the hot water tank for optimum performance.
- Schedule a HVAC tune-up to make sure everything is in good shape before you turn the heat on for the season.
- Look for cracks around the windows and doors, sealing them with caulk to create a draft-free home.
Winter is filled with holiday activities, so you may not have a lot of time for home maintenance jobs. Stick to these basics to keep things in shape.
- Check attic insulation and make sure there are no signs of damage or air leaks.
- Get into the habit of stocking up on HVAC filters so that you can change them easily every one to three months.
Spring is a popular time for deep cleaning the home! Make sure you’re going beyond your regular routine to include these tasks:
- Inspect weather stripping around windows and doors.
- Examine the deck for stains or signs of damage.
- Schedule your annual AC tune-up.
- Examine bathroom and kitchen fixtures for signs of leaks or damage.
- Give your house a thorough cleaning.
We hope these tips help you to stay on top of seasonal home maintenance tasks. To find the best home insurance policy to fit your needs, contact Bell Black Insurance today! We serve all insurance needs for those in Idaho Falls, Island Park, Driggs, Victor, Swan Valley, Ashton, and the neighboring communities in Idaho, as well as Jackson and Star Valley in Wyoming.