Stay safe when cruising the open waters this month.
It’s finally starting to feel like summer, and that means it’s time to get that boat out on the water. Just remember to make sure that you and your boat are ready for the open waters ahead. Take a look at these tips to prepare yourself for spending summer on your boat.
- Inspect the fuel system for leaks or damage. Be sure to pay special attention to the fuel hoses, connections, and take surfaces.
- Make sure the engine, exhaust, and ventilation systems are working properly.
- Inspect all electrical connections and ensure they are tight, clean, and free from corrosion.
- Take a look at the propellers and check for any dings, pitting, cracks, and distortion. Damaged propellers could cause unwanted vibration and damage to your drive train.
- Check all fluid levels (think engine oil, power steering, power trim reservoirs, and coolant) and top up as needed.
- Ensure that all of the life jackets are in good condition. Make sure that you have enough on board for any potential passengers.
- Check to make sure that your fire extinguishers are the correct class for your vessel, and are fully charged and stowed in the correct place.
- Remind all of your passengers of safety rules and detail emergency procedures.
- Never drink and operate the boat.
- Review your watercraft insurance to be sure that you have optimum coverage before heading out on the water.
We hope that these tips ready your boat and yourself to have a great summer! For the right boat insurance for your needs, contact the experts at Bell Black Insurance. We serve all insurance needs for those in Idaho Falls, Island Park, Driggs, Victor, Swan Valley, Ashton, and the neighboring communities in Idaho, as well as Jackson and Star Valley in Wyoming.