Do’s and don’ts for filing an auto insurance claim.
Owning a car is the ultimate dream for many. It not only gets you from point A to point B, but it’s your private space and you take pride in maintaining it. An auto insurance policy is a safety net that protects us from paying for damage and liability that occur during a car accident or incident. If you need to file an auto insurance claim, keep these tips in mind.
- Call the police and allow them to create an official police report. This will be used by the insurance provider while processing the claim.
- Call your insurer as soon as possible. If you wait too long, they could deny your claim.
- Read through your policy terms so that you understand what you can claim for.
- Take pictures at the scene and write down notes of what happened. This helps to piece together what happened.
- Maintain a record of all the bills with respect to your claim.
- Never run away from the scene. Do not move your car or another party’s car from the scene until instructed by the police.
- Do not get angry and lose control of the situation by lashing out at the other party. Remain calm and polite at all times.
- Do not agree to any informal settlement.
- Do not sign documents provided by your provider until you have read through everything and understood the terms.
These do’s and don’ts will help you when filing an auto insurance claim. For the right car insurance for your needs, contact the experts at Bell Black Insurance. We serve all insurance needs for those in Idaho Falls, Island Park, Driggs, Victor, Swan Valley, Ashton, and the neighboring communities in Idaho, as well as Jackson and Star Valley in Wyoming.