To take a life insurance policy, you will be required to pass a medical examination. This article will discuss what you should expect during a typical life insurance medical exam process. Also, we will provide tips on how to prepare for the exam and, more importantly, pass it.
Let's get started!
What Is the Use of the Life Insurance Medical Exam?
Insurance companies conduct a medical examination for people taking a life insurance policy with them. The purpose: determine the applicant's health status. Then, they will use this to determine the life insurance premium they will charge.
These exams are straightforward; they can take anywhere between 20 and 30 minutes. Also, they are not much different from the routine annual physical examination most people conduct at their doctor's office. These exams usually occur in two parts.
1. A Physical Exam
For the average medical exam, the following are mandatory:
2. An Interview
- A blood test
- A urine test
- Height check
- Weight check
- Vitals check
Also, the insurance firm's representative will request information about your health history, medications, and recent medical treatment. If you are thinking of falsifying data, don't. The insurer will ask for your physician's contact information and do a background check to verify the information you provide.
Combining all these will form the basis of their decision on the insurance premium to charge you.
To recap, have the following present when you are going for a life insurance medical exam:
- Your medical history - medical ailments, doctors' identities, locations, consultation dates
- Names and dosages of prescribed medications
- Photo ID
Where Can I Take a Life Insurance Medical Examination?
You can have your medical examination done in any of the following places:
- Your home
- Your workplace
- The exam center of the company performing the test
Tips to Easily Pass Your Life Insurance Medical Exam
Below, we have listed a handful of tips that will help you keep in shape health-wise. Consequently, you will perform well on your medical exam.
Make a Habit of Following Certain Healthy Life Choices
To ensure you ace your life insurance
medical exam, ensure you lead a healthy life. The following tips will help:
- Eliminate processed foods with a high sodium and sugar content. They can increase your blood pressure and sugar levels negatively
- Eat balanced meals and at the appropriate times
- Avoid or reduce caffeinated tea, coffee, and energy drinks; they can result in a less than ideal blood test result.
- Drink lots of water every day
- Avoid alcoholic beverages or drink as little alcohol as possible. For men, do not drink over two drinks a day, and if you are a woman, do not drink more than one drink a day
Within 24 Hours of Your Life Insurance Exam
- Get the recommended amount of sleep the night before your test
- Don't eat red meat: it can elevate your cholesterol levels
- Don't take over the counter drugs, like antihistamines and nasal decongestants, as they can increase your blood pressure
On the Day of Your Life Insurance Physical Exam
- Do not engage in strenuous workout sessions as it can negatively influence your test result
- Wear light, roomy clothing: this will make it easier for samples to be collected
Finally, we recommend you take the exam now. The reason is simple: you are younger now than you will ever be. Insurers offer lower premiums to younger persons than they do to older ones. Besides, the older you get, the higher your chances of developing one ailment or another.
If you are thinking of getting a life insurance policy
, our team of insurance professionals can help you at Bell Black Insurance
. Contact our team today, and we can help you find the policy that most suits you.