Prep your home for the cooler weather season ahead.
Where oh where has the summer season gone? With the kids heading back to school and the nights drawing in, it's time to get ready for the season of fall! Even though autumn has crept up on us doesn't mean that our houses can fall into disarray in the aftermath of summer.
You can keep your home safe and in good condition during the upcoming months with these tips:
- Have your furnace cleaned and inspected by a qualified technician.
- Insulate water pipes in areas that are exposed to cold temperatures. Be sure to turn up the thermostat during extra cold periods.
- Check for any missing slates or damage on the roof.
- Clean the gutters and downspouts to keep debris from accumulating. (Note: This is especially important during the autumn season as leaves can build up in the gutters).
- Get the chimney cleaned and maintained annually by a professional.
- Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct and space underneath the dryer. All traces of lint, dust, and material pieces should be removed!
- Keep a fire extinguisher accessible, filled and ready for use.
- Inspect your smoke detectors, test them monthly, and change the battery as needed.
- Examine your electrical outlets for potential fire hazards such as frayed wires or loose-fitting plugs. Make sure you don't overload electrical outlets, fuse boxes, or extension cords.
- Always store a First-Aid and emergency kit in an easily accessible location.
- Review your homeowners insurance.
Homeowners insurance should be updated and reviewed annually or as needed. Be sure that you have the correct homeowners insurance
coverage so that you are kept protected throughout the winter weather. For an exceptional insurance policy on your home, visit us
at Bell Black Insurance in Rexburg, Idaho.