Learn how to prepare for an unexpected earthquake in Rexburg, Idaho.
Earthquakes continually threaten the United States, and Idaho is no stranger to a few shakes! Whilst technology has advanced tremendously, the tectonic plates are known to shift at any time, resulting in earthquakes from minor to catastrophic damages.
Anyone who has experienced a shake before knows that the devastation can vary and the impact is unpredictable. Fortunately, for homeowners, there are some simple tips that you can do to protect your home.
Learn to protect yourself, family, and home during these shaky times:
- Secure freestanding objects, eg. bookcases, to the wall.
- Fix ceiling lights to the building structure.
- Fit all gas appliances with breakaway shut-off devices.
- Brace unreinforced chimneys, masonry, concrete walls, and foundations.
- Review your earthquake insurance to ensure that you are aware and satisfied with the coverage.
- If you are indoors, stay inside the home and move away from windows, skylights, doors.
- Find cover and stay there until the shaking stops.
- If you are outdoors, move away from electrical lines, trees, and buildings.
- Drop to the ground and wait for the shaking to stop.
- When driving, slow your vehicle and move to the side of the road.
After the earthquake, the last concern on your mind should be finances. As earthquakes can destroy precious belongings and homes, valid insurance is imperative and appreciated. Many homeowners insurance
policies don't provide protection for earthquakes, so a separate policy must be obtained.
Talk to one of the insurance experts
at Bell Black Insurance to determine the best earthquake insurance policy for you and your home. We provide insurance for those in Idaho Falls, Island Park, Driggs, Victor, Swan Valley, Ashton, and the neighboring communities in Idaho, as well as Jackson and Star Valley in Wyoming.