As the winter approaches, now is the time to ensure your property doesn't have any CO leaks.
The temperatures are predicted to drop for the winter months, which means furnaces and coal stoves will be working overtime. This isn't a bad thing for homeowners, except for the threat of carbon monoxide, a serious and deadly gas. What's worse about this gas is that it's odorless, colorless, and tasteless. Because of this, it requires regular maintenance of fuel-burning appliances and the installation of carbon monoxide alarms.
To help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, follow these tips:
- Hire a professional to check all of your gas-run systems in the house before using them regularly for the winter. A professional will ensure the appliance is burning properly and is suitably vented.
- Never leave a car idling in a garage (even if the garage door is open).
- Keep portable generators at least 20 feet from an open window.
- Never use a charcoal barbeque inside a home or tent.
- Never use a gas oven to heat a home.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home. For an extra level of protection, consider installing a CO alarm in every bedroom of your house.
Common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Chest pains
CO poisoning symptoms could be confused with a common cold. To safely protect your house and your loved ones, be sure to install a CO alarm.
With a little preparation, your home can stay safe from CO. To find the best home insurance policy to fit your needs, contact
Bell Black Insurance today. We serve all insurance needs for those in Idaho Falls, Island Park, Driggs, Victor, Swan Valley, Ashton, and the neighboring communities in Idaho, as well as Jackson and Star Valley in Wyoming.