Your pet can safely enjoy the winter season with these tips.
As the weather outside turns frightful, you may be reaching for the extra blanket to put on your bed at night. While finding ways to stay warm throughout the coldest part of the year, it is important to take the time to think about your furry friends as well! Keep these cold weather pet safety tips in mind to help you navigate the winter season.
- Bring your pet inside - if you take your dog outside every day for some exercise, stick to your normal schedule as much as possible. When you are not letting your dog out for some exercise or a potty break, keep them inside to help them stay warm.
- Use a leash - when you head out for a walk, keep your dog on a leash. Pets can easily get lost during a snow storm if you let them roam free. Ensure your pet has up to date tags in case they do get free.
- Add an extra meal - if your dog is spending a lot of time outdoors, add some extra food to their bowl during each feeding. Your dog burns a lot more calories during the winter to help stay warm, so make sure you are able to replace those calories.
- Don't leave them in the car - just like you should never leave your pet in the car during the summer, you shouldn't leave them in your vehicle during the winter either. Your car can act like a refrigerator, holding the cold in and freezing your pet!
- Keep them warm at night - make sure your pets have a warm and cozy place to sleep each night. Keep them off the floor and give them plenty of blankets and pillows to stay warm - this includes giving them extra cuddles!
For more information on keeping your pet safe and healthy this winter, contact
Bell Black Insurance in Rexburg, Idaho.