With the hot summer weather showing no sign of cooling down, you are probably not looking forward to a hot meal. Keep these summer recipes in mind that are sure to keep you full and cool throughout the season. Corn Salad with Tomato and Avocado
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels
- 14 grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly crosswise
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded, and diced
Recipe from: Maria Amalia Garza for the TheLatinKitchen.com Black Rice with Mango, Pomegranate, and Avocado
- Combine the corn, tomatoes, jalapeno, onions, and cilantro in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Add red wine vinegar, olive oil, pepper, and salt, and mix. Add the avocado and mix gently until well combined.
- 3 cups lightly salted water
- 1 ½ cups back rice, rinsed and drained
- 3 ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/3 cup pomegranate or orange juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
Recipe from: "The Silver Platter" by Daniella Silver with Norene Gilletz.
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add the rice and reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 35-45 minutes. The rice should be tender but slightly chewy. Remove from heat, let stand, and covered for 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a large serving bowl and let cool. Add the mangoes, pomegranate seeds, scallions, and basil to the serving bowl.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients in a glass jar. Seal tightly and shake well. Right before serving, peel, pit, and dice the avocado, and add the avocado and dressing to the rice mixture. Toss gently to combine.
All of us at Bell Black Insurance
in Rexburg, Idaho would like to encourage you to try out these delicious summer recipes!